Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Verdict

I wont take too much of your time tonight, but I figured I'd let those of you interested in on what went down at the Herzl Breastfeeding clinic this morning.

First, naked boobs everywhere.  I mean, all out, all over the place.  I think Pete was jealous he couldn't come.

Second, the diagnosis:  Nipple Vasospasm (whada name eh?!)
Definition in a nutshell:  when our blood vessels contract or become smaller in diameter due to exposure to emotional stress.  Can be quite painful and severe in some people, ie ME.

Risk Factors for developing it:
1. Exposure to cold temperatures (read, Nipple-itis!)
2. Periods of severe emotional stress. (from pain and the stress of not being able to feed your baby)
3. Smoking and second-hand smoke. (not my issue)
4. Poor latch or biting.
5. Nipple cracks or trauma.
6. Migraines.
7. Certain medical conditions like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and hypothyroidism.
8. Certain treatments for Thrush and the birth control pill.

Things to try at home:

Good latch, Heat is very important, make sure to stay warm at all times, stay active, don't smoke and decrease caffeine.

Treatment:
Advil, etc.
High doses of Calcium, magnesium and vitamin B6. ( I got a prescription for this)
Omega fatty acids.
Nifedipine (high blood pressure meds).

So, that's the verdict.  We'll see how the prescription makes me feel, and I'll get back to you.  People still think I'm crazy considering I'm only doing this for two more months, but I'm determined!

No comments:

Post a Comment