Friday, June 10, 2011

Grounded

Every Friday the neighbour and I take our kids to the local pool so they can wade in the warm salt water for an hour or so while we chat.  In anticipation of our weekly pool visit I went to Canadian Tire to buy a swim aid for Hunter based on a recommendation from my friend Mel called a puddle jumper.  Mel's son Alex has been using his puddle jumper since last year and is real pro in the pool, jumping in and swimming independently without any help from his mum. 

Everything went well at first.  Hunter chose his own colour, talked about it until he went to bed, and went to find it as soon as he woke up in the morning.  When we were getting in the car to go to the pool he insisted that the puddle jumper sit in the back seat with him and he carried it into the change room, eager to get it on.  He loved wading in the water and played quietly until I suggested we go into the deep end to try out his new "toy." 

Finally, after a couple of minutes of hesitation, I decided to let him go....I've never heard a kid scream like that for absolutely no reason in my life!  He was terrified.  He screamed and grasped at my arms and shoulders, clinging to my body like he was going to die if he let go.  I tried to get him to ease up, but he wasn't having it.  I managed to get him to take my hands and I pulled him around the deep end, while I let go of one hand at a time.  He smiled a little, but when I let go of both hands, he screamed again and I had to take him back to the shallow end.

Sometimes I find it extremely difficult to think like a toddler.  Even after I'd explained to him a thousand times that he couldn't fall, that he'd float with the puddle jumper on, and after he'd been out of my arms and had experienced the floating himself, he still screamed and almost made himself sick with fear.  I learned later in the hour that he HAS to have his feet on the ground at all times in the pool, unless he's in your arms. 

We'll try the puddle jumper again next Friday.  I'm hopeful that he'll feel confident in it soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment